January 23rd, 2008
|09:22 pm - The wish.|
Just 1 wish...just 1 -- to live in a time when;
- life wasn't so damn complicated
- there wasn't really a choice but to stick in one village/city (aka no planes, trains, cars, etc.)
- given the above, there wasn't a need to study, attempt to, and frustrate over failed attempts to understand all these trillions of little cultures and norms and societies with all their individual values and beliefs and histories
- given the above (again) the chances of stepping on people's toes and being accused of being racist/discriminant/biased wasn't so prevalent since people in the same societies tended to have the same ethnicity and shared the same history and culture
- the media didn't pounce on every tiny little thing tearing people to shreds for one mis-spoken sentence
- the media didn't exist period
- there wasn't so much bloody technology and knowledge of said technology taken as a necessity
- there hadn't been so many "great thinkers" that had come up with all this crap about life, society, humanity, human nature, etc., etc. so I wouldn't have to study night and day about all these useless theories and BS that these supposed "great thinkers" wrote probably while they're half, or completely, drunk
- there wasn't so much materials for me to indulge my materialistic side in (if plushies didn't exist I wouldn't be feeling guilty that I have 10 trillion of them taking up space in the storage room at home while some kid halfway around the world is starving for some food)
- traits such as honour, compassion, chivalry, loyalty, honesty, sincerity, benevolence, etc., still counted as something...important...to be valued and admired, to be sought after and cherished
I WISH I LIVED IN A TIME WHEN THERE DIDN'T EXIST SO MUCH CRAP IN THIS WORLD!!
IGNORANCE IS FREAKING BLISS AND I'D DAMN APPRECIATE SOME BLISS THESE DAYS!!!
The more crap they come up with, they invent, they make up, they discover, they theorize, they produce, they hypothesize, the more it's expected of the coming generations to have all this knowledge and learn it, how the heck can people be themselves when we've got other peoples' ideas and theories being shoved down our throats, up our brains and spilling out from our lips?
I'd rather live 50 years, study for 10 of those years, and use the most productive years of life contributing IN A SIGNIFICANT WAY to society, doing something I can be proud of. Instead I'll probably live to around 80, spend/spent 30 years nose buried in a book, wasted the most productive years of life reading those books, lug around by-then old and ancient ideas, attempting to mold the world based on those by-then ancient ideas, getting hated by the newer, younger generation (the way we hate the old and dull politicians of today with their seemingly old and out-of-fashion of thinking and ideas...I'm sure in their 20's and 30's the way they work today would have been considered hip and trendy -___-). Wtf, what a messed up way of living, the entire life cycle's been skewed and knocked off balance.
I will, however, miss my flush toilet...and soft toilet paper. Wiping my a** with leaves doesn't sound too appealing, no. Oh and I guess if I want to do the career thing, I'd have to be born as a male...but then again, if there wasn't all this feminist/girl-power stuff floating around and I didn't grow up to be cultured under such an environment I can probably handle some cooking and needle-work.
Freaking...I want to punch something...but I do feel better after that rant...not so frustrated and pissed off...now the steam's gone, but I think the boiling water underneath is still there...one of these days it's going to explode and overflow the pot.
Current Mood: pissed off
Aww, I know exactly how you feel. *hugs*
I was like that a couple of days ago. I suck at making people feel better though... all I can offer is to listen and more hugs.
What's most funny is that we "keep moving forward"/"gaining more information"/whatever yet history keeps pathetically repeating itself. People are so stupid and never really learn.
|Date:||January 24th, 2008 04:17 am (UTC)|| |
Your Rousseauian ambivalence is intriguing (sorry, I know...philosophical). I feel the same way many times, but I guess as I'm sure you know, this is the reality we have to face. In our lifetime, this is the way we advance as people & how we become empowered to better ourselves & hopefully have the opportunity to better our world. The downside to this is that we are constrained by the norms that are structured into our daily lives & the reality of our world-I guess I'm ending this on a pessimistic note b/c it seems that we cannot pursue some lofty, idealistic goal of embetterment. Sorry Mengya-I lament this fact of life with you in spirit-Love-James
|Date:||January 24th, 2008 05:09 am (UTC)|| |
I agree with you whole heartedly. I feel like I'm in the wrong time period quite often.
|Date:||January 24th, 2008 11:40 pm (UTC)|| |
Keep warm and safe.
Yeah, but you wouldn'e be able to study because you're female, in certain places you would be shot if you were swearing allegiance to the wrong religion after the religion of the monarch changed, etc etc