?

Log in

LJ = Pepsi's new advertising playgroun - Welcome...

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Links
--TAGS
--Anime/Manga List: A list of anime/live actions/musicals I've seen and mangas I've read
--My Deviantart Gallery
--My Tegaki blog
--My Facebook profile (lots of photos)
--My Tumblr

August 18th, 2007


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
12:11 pm - LJ = Pepsi's new advertising playgroun
Wow...just...wow.  LJ, you've really stooped to a new low this time.  Maybe they're trying to set a new record for how many times in a year they can stir up their users.  Aside from the previous TWO strikethrough incidents (which, the second one I might add, is still causing a ruckus) already this year, LJ's now Pepsi's newest corporate puppet.  Three new journal styles/themes based on Diet Pepsi Max?  AND a mood theme?  What is this?  The newest Pepsi Wonderland?  Not only that, check out these two puppet journals by either Pepsi reps trying to fool users and advertise their product OR two life forms lower than amoebas voluntarily acting as corporate advertising:
pepsi2dmax
pepsibettymaxxx

At least if it's the first they're getting paid, but if it's the second, oh boy, these two really need to get a life and maybe start with developing a few brain cells to differentiate themselves from amoebas.  Although if it IS the first, Pepsi really needs to start re-thinking their advertising strategies.  The first dude's some macho, racist pig trying to sound all gangsta and hip, and the second sounds like some ditsy Barbie-doll blonde (sorry to any blondes on my f-list) with her "Omg, why doesn't anyone want to be friends with me?  Oh but we should all just be happy happy happy people drinking Diet Pepsi Max~!!" -____-

I'll post some of their entries here, you be the judge.
Here's 2 posts quoted word for word from the first dude:
"Alright yo. Let me first tell you..I hate Asian crap. Those guys into Asian crap are all fat, basement dwelling virgins fapping to loli. The only thing worse than an Asian enthusiast are those people who go to Ren faires dressed like merlin and worship dead, heathen gods.

So when my bro was like "you gotta check this ginseng pepsi out" I was like "hold up! I don't do that ancient Chinese Secret crap" And he was like nah, try it. And my life has changed for the better! I've got the girl, I've got the skillz and I'm MAXing on life! I've reached Enlightenment. Carbonated Zen. Buddha didn't need to sit around to awaken! He needed a Pepsi MAX!
"

[My comment] Yeah way to go with the public relations there Pepsi, just insult your consumers, that'll get them to buy your stuff.  And the second one:

"so like I was sitting with my bros after Football Strategy class, drinking Pepsi MAX, when this one wigger walks by and knocks it over with his $400 pair of Nikes.  He then bitches me out because it got on his shoes and I was like "hell no!" so I picked up the half empty bottle and crammed it down his motherfucking throat.  He was all fight until the Pepsi MAX hit his taste buds, and he was like "damn, bro!  This is good shit!"  And all was cool."

[My comment] Uhh...right...yeah, ok, sure, I'm actually speechless at the stupidity of this.


And from ditsy Barbie-doll:
"I'm glad I'm not the only one talking about my favorite morning drink. When I log into LJ, I see advertisements about it all the time! I just wish LJ would have smiley faces like IM, then I would feel like I'm talking to my best friends all the time!

I'm worried that a lot of people don't like me because of my likes and that makes me sad. But! The only way to turn a frown into a smile is by knowing you have more than one bird in the bush! 

Some people think I'm not smart, so I'm here to tell you all something important. Pepsi cares a lot about people and I'm sad to think people think they don't. If you look here, you'll see a happy mother and her son sharing a bag of chips. But they're not any ordinary chips, they're what Pepsi calls the "Smart Spot" partnership. Why, by January 2008, Pepsi pledges to have 100 percent of all TV advertising geared to ages 12 and under to be Smart Spot compliant!

But what does this all mean? It means that Pepsi cares about kids. Especially since by age 12, they'll be smart enough to know that they should choose Pepsi Smart Spot products! Did you know that Pepsi is even helping the fight against AIDS and HIV

But all of that aside, this is why I always like to talk about Diet Pepsi Max. Pepsi has done the research! They know that when people yawn at work, it's contagious. I find this particular fact very gross: Nearly one in ten (9 percent) Americans has had a bug fly into their mouth while yawning.

Ewwwwww!

I'll leave you with this important message:

“It's evident that Americans are tired and could use an extra kick to help get them through the day,” said Russell Weiner, VP, Colas, Pepsi-Cola North America. “Diet Pepsi MAX was designed to offer a great-tasting solution with a unique formula that invigorates the mind and body, preventing those ill-timed yawns from taking over.” 

He's so right! What do you think?
"

[My comment]
What do I think?  Where do I start?  First of all, aiming advertising at KIDS is immoral and unethical considering that kids have no ability to combat the billions of dollars these corporations spend to get attract them as consumers.  To think that it means "Pepsi cares about kids" is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of, all it means is that Pepsi wants these kids to become loyal consumers in order to get their money and their parents' money.  Corporations do not care about PEOPLE they care about PROFIT, their bottom line, that's IT. 

As for helping to fight against HIV/AIDS, you know what, if Pepsi really cared about the health of people they'd stop producing these disgusting drinks that have no health benefits what-so-ever and are contributing greatly to the obesity epidemic sweeping across the developed countries.

So there you have it folks, I really don't know what LJ's planning, I mean what kind of reaction were they predicting from their users?  "Ooh corporate advertising disguised as sponsors!! YAY!!!!"  Give us SOME credit LJ, SOME of your users have brains and CAN use them, unlike your decision-making staff these days it seems.

(14 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:mikage
Date:August 18th, 2007 06:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I could maybe be okay with LJ being sponsored by Pepsi if...

All cola didn't make me completely sick to my stomach. XD
From:(Anonymous)
Date:August 19th, 2007 01:22 am (UTC)
(Link)
OMG!I could barely contain my laughter while reading those "comments".I mean how stupid does pepsi/other companies think we are? Oh yeah b/c everyone will write a story in the form of a product-placement-laden promotive way!?Though I'm not Asian, nor Buddhist, I thought the whole "Asian crap" comment & then saying "all Buddha needed was a Pepsi to achieve Enlightenment" was extremely offensive. If these "people" are really being paid for this, than it can be nothing but bad publicity and poor strategy on the part of Pepsi. And if these are ads masked as dummy blogs, than this is lower than I thought a company advertisment could go!Take care-James
From:(Anonymous)
Date:August 19th, 2007 01:33 am (UTC)
(Link)
PS-Did you know that on this "pespsi2dmax"'s profile list his b-day as "1943-01-01"? Also, both this "guy" & "girl" created their LJs on the same day at around the same time, and sound stereotypically like teenage guys & girls (I guess for mass appeal)?And honestly, who actually justifies their reason for blabbing on about Pepsi because of their "corporate responsible ways" and the "fact" that a mother & son sharing a bag of chips makes it a healthy snack along with a can of soda?!OMG this post has seriously made my day!-James
[User Picture]
From:koneko_desu
Date:August 19th, 2007 01:48 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Yeah it's so blatantly obvious that these two are troll journals. They were both created on the same day that LJ announced the new Pepsi themed layouts, mood themes and v-gifts. You'd think they would give us SOME credit and not insult our intelligence THAT much. And that first dude, the racist guy, for some reason I just found out he friended me XDD Is he so desperate for friends he'd even stoop to friending those people that vocally oppose the product he's trying to advertise?? Moron.
From:dave_baker
Date:August 20th, 2007 04:38 am (UTC)
(Link)
I'm not too fussed about LJ being sponsored- they have to make a profit, like any other company. This is a very bad set of commercials, one that people won't be duped by.

"Dudes..Diet Pepsi MAX is the new stage of human evolution. I've been up since yesterday morning drinking this stuff and not once have I felt sleepy. Think of all the football practice, partying and porn you can fit into 24 hours back to back! Yawns are now obsolete.

Betty...brad saw you at the mall in front of Abercrombie and Fitch with a Coca-Cola Black Cherry Vanilla in your hand!! You have explaining to do."
From:dave_baker
Date:August 20th, 2007 04:41 am (UTC)
(Link)
Also- on this thread- http://pepsibettymaxxx.livejournal.com/1308.html?view=17180#t17180 which is about diet drinks and people losing weight etc etc, I posted this-

Hey guys, did you know that some research has led to scientists believing that diet drinks such as Pepsi Max, can be linked to obesity?

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=28632



I wonder if it will last...
From:the_brad
Date:August 20th, 2007 10:00 am (UTC)
(Link)
For chrissakes just leave us alone and let us do our things. If we break the law whether due to influence by a community or not then our local police will handle it ok? Even if in the most optimistic view you do manage to ban all the Diet Pepsi Max fans (the real ones, not spammers and employees) on LJ so what? They'll find some other way to converge. Suspending fans isn't going to make them stop writing, suspending enthusiasts won't stop them from drinking, and unfortunately, suspending them more than likely will encourage further censorship. Leave the law-enforcing to those qualified for the job and leave the judging for those occupying the judges' chair in the courtrooms, you guys have an internet blog, a journal, a community, a means for people to discuss and debate whatever they want with as minimal censorship as you can possibly manage. Stop the double standards, stop the contradictions, stop the patronizing and leave fandom alone.
[User Picture]
From:koneko_desu
Date:August 20th, 2007 02:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Please be so kind as to point out to me where and whom has suggested even the notion of banning and/or suspending corporate enthusiasts for any brand? In no way, shape or form has even the word suspension been connected to this Pepsi incident on LJ, at least not from me. It is not illegal to drink Pepsi nor to worship brand names, therefore, if LJ's going to allow the existence of proanorexia communities then certainly I highly doubt they're going to start suspending users who like brand, and I would advice you give us a bit more credit in our ability to make such assessments. I would be foolish to report to LJ that I want so-and-so user suspended for trying to influence others to worship blindly a legal product, regardless of my own personal opinion of such acts.

Also, thank you so much for citing my previous post regarding the recent LJ censorship issue without the proper citations (my original post here: http://koneko-desu.livejournal.com/173603.html , final paragraph). You are mistaken, however, the anti-corporation movement is not at all connected to censorship, therefore, unfortunately, my text is extremely out of context for your cause. Let me break it down to you a few sentences at a time since it seems that's about the maximum amount of thought processing that your brain can handle.

1) "If we break the law whether due to influence by a community or not then our local police will handle it ok?"
<--Under our circumstances, this sentence was directed at if we had broken the law by looking at erotic drawings of characters looking underage, regardless of if artists had put an age label on the picture. In your circumstance, it simply does not apply.

2) "Even if in the most optimistic view you do manage to ban all the Diet Pepsi Max fans (the real ones, not spammers and employees) on LJ so what? They'll find some other way to converge. Suspending fans isn't going to make them stop writing, suspending enthusiasts won't stop them from drinking, and unfortunately, suspending them more than likely will encourage further censorship."
<-- As I've said above, no one has even suggested banning or suspension. We merely find those troll journals promoting Pepsi a poor way to advertise and a mockery on our intellectual ability. Not to mention LJ's use of terms like "v-gifts" and "sponsors" to disguise what is in actuality advertising when it was stated when I bought my permanent account that as a paying/paid member, I will not be seeing any advertising. Therefore, it is anger aimed at LJ.
[User Picture]
From:koneko_desu
Date:August 20th, 2007 02:03 pm (UTC)
(Link)
3) "Leave the law-enforcing to those qualified for the job and leave the judging for those occupying the judges' chair in the courtrooms, you guys have an internet blog, a journal, a community, a means for people to discuss and debate whatever they want with as minimal censorship as you can possibly manage."
<--First, I am allowed as a citizen of a free and democratic country to judge as I please, however, the difference between the "judging" mentioned in your citation and in regards to this incident is that I do not and would not even if it was within my powers deal out controversial consequences and take actions such as suspension or banning of those I find offensive, as LJ has done. Secondly, the point regarding us having an "internet blog, a journal, a community, a means for people to discuss and debate whatever they want with as minimal censorship as you can possibly manage" is currently in heated debate, especially amongst fandom. I suggest you do some research before quoting.

4) "Stop the double standards, stop the contradictions, stop the patronizing and leave fandom alone."
<--Given that I have diffused every argument you have put forth (disregarding the fact the 99% of it is in my words and not your's therefore technically it should not even be considered your argument) there are no double standards nor contradictions to speak of. Patronizing I will admit to, I do so love patronizing those whom I find likes to blindly worship anything or anyone as it is a dangerous practice, even to my close friends. Oh, and beg my pardon but my dear, unfortunately, I don't believe the term "fandom" suits this situation at all, a little more research would clear that up.

I apologize for cutting this disection of your poorly concocted accusation into two comments, it seems I have overstepped the maximum amount of characters as permitted by LJ on one comment. Thank you for stopping by, if you'd like to be patronized some more please feel free to respond.
From:dave_baker
Date:August 21st, 2007 01:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
Drinks have fandom?

ON another note, my reply was replied to by liejournaler with-

"You just ignored the giant pink elephant. The fact that most youth don't get enough exercise is a far greater risk to their health than the fact that diet food tends to trick our minds into thinking we need to eat more. One can be healthy (and enlightened!) while drinking soda daily, but one cannot without exercise."

Before the journal was suspended.



Enlightened??
[User Picture]
From:koneko_desu
Date:August 21st, 2007 02:26 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh so LJ did suspend those two journals, wonder who reported them in and on what grounds...hmm. On a side note, I see LJ also hasn't brought back the strikethrough and has kept with the bolding of suspended users, that's annoying, I'll have to manually html the code to be strikethroughs instead, this bolding is just lame.

Well not that I'm going to attack LJ for it but suspending those two journals wasn't really necessary if you ask me, they weren't doing anything illegal, annoying yes, but not illegal. They'd probably cause a stir for awhile and then people'd forget about them and move on. Perhaps LJ suspended them because people were making assumptions LJ had allowed Pepsi PR people to purposefully make those two troll users to act as advertising and thus have started to direct their anger at LJ...in that case I would think getting rid of that new Pepsi v-gift along with the mood themes and layout themes would convince users more of LJ's sincerity than suspending those two users.

Doesn't take much to satisfy this person does it? A mass produced, unhealthy and disgusting drink can bring him/her to the stage of enlightenment, if we were all so easily enlightened our governments would have such an easier time bossing us around.
[User Picture]
From:misori
Date:August 21st, 2007 03:58 pm (UTC)
(Link)
LOL.

Actually, this is rather disturbing. O_O
From:ex_rachel42
Date:August 22nd, 2007 08:39 pm (UTC)

From Rachel (LJ Staffer)

(Link)
Hi.
Just setting the record straight..
Those journals that you listed above were NOT pepsi journals. But rather somebody is posing to be Pepsi.
As you can see, they have since been taken down.

Amazing that people have enough time on their hands to impersonate somebody else?
Just thought you'd like a follow up.
[User Picture]
From:koneko_desu
Date:August 23rd, 2007 03:14 am (UTC)

Re: From Rachel (LJ Staffer)

(Link)
Thank you for the clarification, I had hoped that Pepsi would have given their consumers more credit than to fall for such a low gimmick and it relieves me that it is true (although it doesn't make my feel any more affectionate towards corporations).

It seems too many people have too much time on their hands these days, an unfortunate illness of those fortunate enough to call a developed country their home. Thank you once again for taking the time to comment and clear things up, it is greatly appreciated.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com